Japan Press Weekly
[Advanced search]
 
 
HOME
Past issues
Special issues
Books
Fact Box
Feature Articles
Mail to editor
Link
Mail magazine
Blog [Japanese]
 
   
 
HOME  > Past issues  > 2018 February 7 - 13  > 120,000 signatures collected seeking ban on military flights over childcare centers in Okinawa
> List of Past issues
Bookmark and Share
2018 February 7 - 13 [US FORCES]

120,000 signatures collected seeking ban on military flights over childcare centers in Okinawa

February 10, 2018
The number of signatures calling for a ban on flights of U.S. military aircraft over childcare facilities, collected in the wake of a part-drop accident in Okinawa late last year, has reached 121,950 as of February 8.

Some parents and staff at a day nursery where an aircraft part was dropped visited the Okinawa prefectural government on February 9 and reported on achievements so far to Governor Onaga Takeshi.

Principal of the nursery Kamiya Takehiro said, "The U.S. military hasn't admitted to the drop incident. So, we called the police on the phone on January 22 and they told us it's still under investigation."

Governor Onaga in response said, "When it comes to the U.S. military in Japan, the Japanese government cannot do anything. Because of the unfairness of the Japan-U.S. Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), nothing has changed in Okinawa for 72 years after the end of the Pacific War," adding, "I will definitely convey your message to the governments of both Japan and the United States."

Vice-chair of the parents' association of the nursery Chinen Yukiko said, "I know our struggles will have to continue for possibly a long time, but I will do my best to help to ensure a secure and safe environment for our children."

Past related article:
> US military airplane drops cylindrical part on childcare facility near Futenma base [December 8, 2017]

> List of Past issues
 
  Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved